Monday, September 8, 2014

Mondays With Roller


Do you have an effective way of waking up your kids in the morning? And by that, I mean a way that actually works and gets them up and out of bed...with no tears and no fussing.

I've been struggling with this since Buddy Roller was a toddler. He is NOT a morning person, and he does not understand that if we're late, he will miss the bus, I will be late for work, and yada, yada, yada. In the past, I have tried jumping on his bed, even driving the plethora of his toy cars over his body in hopes of waking him up in a fun way. I have tried bribing him with a short game of Subway Surfers or Angry Birds on my cell phone. That only worked for a few days!

In fact, it seems just when I come up with a clever idea, the novelty of it wears off and we are back to tears and moans and groans.

Not so, though, this morning.

We tried the online bomb timer. It was a huge hit! Once you access the link, you should also scroll down and click on "classroom timers" for more kid friendly and entertaining countdowns.  Buddy Roller actually saw me use it yesterday as I was planning a lesson for my kids. He thought it was the next best thing. He got so tickled silly when time was up and the bomb went off. And so after he woke up this morning, we set the timer and off he went to brush his teeth and get dressed. I've never seen him get dressed so fast AND be in a great mood all at the same time!


I'm hoping this novel idea won't wear off any time soon. If that happens, I guess I'll have to resort to dressing him in his sleep. And that will be no fun for anyone.

If you have a funny story of how you wake up your little ones or have any good strategies that have been working for you, please leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you.

No comments: