Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Courage over Comfort


























In January, on my birthday, I did something I hadn't done in more than five years...



...I went on an interview.

For a long time, I had been wondering what it would be like to work at another school. To teach at a non-Title I school. To work at a school where they was more parental involvement than my current school. To work at a place where they seemed (from the outside anyway) to have things "figured" out. I wanted to experience working at a school where decisions and policies were proactive. Not reactive.

I have longed for a change.  I have felt this way for some time now, but I let fear and comfort hold me back.

Fear came in the form of questions and statements I told myself in order to justify my comfort.  What if things are worse at the new school? At least I knew what to "expect" at my current situation. What if they don't like me? What if I'm not good enough? I would have to learn the culture of a whole new school. I would have to meet a bunch of new people. And on and on I went...trying to rationalize not changing schools and not being brave!

Silly right? But aren't these the lies we feed ourselves when we're afraid of change?

Instead I should have been thinking...what if things are better at the new school? They will like me cause I'm awesome! I am good enough. Change is good. Growth is good.

It is so scary to leave what I know and go into the unknown.  But I know in my heart that I will not become a better human if I don't go outside what is familiar and comfortable to me.

So I made a decision to be brave. I pushed the button. I chose courage over comfort.

Next year, I'll be joining a new school, and I'm so excited for what's to come. I know there'll be challenges, and I also know there'll be triumphs. Going in, I have no expectations other than to embrace this new chapter and to learn and become a better teacher than I was before.

I am ready, and I can't wait to share my experiences with you!

No comments: