Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Go For It


During one of our weekly walks, a friend of mine asked me a really good question...




Since I would be teaching at a different school in the fall, she wanted to know what I wanted to change about myself going into a new school year.

Her question reminded me that with a new job, new experience, or new opportunity, we all have the power to "renovate" ourselves into a better version. Don't you agree?

So this is what I told her.

First, I was considering having everyone call me Lisa (used by close friends and family) instead of Alicia because I'm just sick and tired of folks mispronouncing my name. For more background, read this post. At my old school, we all went by our last names, so it only became an issue a few times.  But at my new school, everyone calls each other by their first name. I decided in the end that I was going to stick with Alicia (it IS my name!), and that I would just make it really clear from the beginning, in a nice way of course, how to properly pronounce it.

Second, I want to go for it! What this means is that I want to be less guarded and reserved. It takes a really long time for me to open up to people and let my walls down. People, who have known me for a long time, often tell me that in the beginning I can come across as aloof and private. It's really the introvert in me. I swear!  I've come to realize that in order to have more authentic relationships, I have to loosen up a bit. So I'm going to make a conscious effort to get out of my own way and just go for it. This includes speaking up and sharing in a professional setting and also showing my vulnerability as a strength...not a weakness.

How about you? What things would you like to address and change about yourself? You don't have to be entering a new season of your life to make a change you know. Just saying.

Also see these related posts -

The first year I taught gifted kids.

Challenges in teaching.

Teaching reignited.

No comments: