Monday, June 22, 2020

Five Most Influential People


Who are the five most influential people in your life?



In my family, I'm kinda known for asking thought provoking questions. On Father's Day morning,  I posed this question to The Hubs while the three of us were just hanging out in our bedroom.  Who are the five people in your life who have influenced you the most?

We all took turns answering the question and explaining the why to our five people. The conversation was such a great one to have for a couple of reasons. First, families need to unplug and talk to each other. Second, it gives our son practice in having conversations and elaborating on answers, which is a life skill. And third, we all found a new appreciation for each other (we all made it on each other's list) and the important people in our lives.

The surprising thing that I never expected is that I got super emotional as I was explaining my five!  So here's what I said, in a nutshell, about the five most influential people in my life.

One. My mom. My mom is the reason I am thoughtful, caring and kind. When I make a meal for a sick friend, or send a care package to friend who has been diagnosed with cancer, or deliver birthday treats to a friend...that is all due to my mom. Growing up and watching her love on her neighbors and friends is what has made me the person I am today. I also have a deep respect for my mom. Now that I'm a mom, I realize how difficult it must have been to raise two girls, make a move from Jamaica to America, and navigate life's challenges...all while living with a not so supportive husband. I can't imagine how lonely and sad she must have felt, choosing not to share the "bad" with my sister and I as we were growing up. I've been so wrong when I viewed my mom as weak for not leaving my father sooner. I realize now that I was so naive. My mom's strength is what is so admirable. She  sacrificed for us. She put our needs above her own. She is a strong woman. I realize now that I get my strength from her.

Now do you see why I got so emotional?

Two. The senior pastor at Victory Church, Dennis Rouse. Over the years, I have learned how to be a better person and do life the right way. I have learned so many life changing lessons through my church that has totally shaped the woman, wife and mother I am today. Growing up, I lacked so much attention and love from my father. That void, I realize, really affected so many areas of my life. My church has filled that void in so many ways and has taught me and given me the tools to navigate life with God's presence and ever lasting love. God is good. All the time!

Three. Nikki, my best friend and sister forever (BFSF).  We met in high school, so our friendship spans almost 30 years! And the one constant with her is that she has always been a source of encouragement and one of my biggest cheerleaders. Always!

Four. Buddy Roller. Since becoming a mother, every single decision I have made, everything I choose to do or not do has been because of my favorite son...my only son. This is my season of motherhood, and I have sacrificed and put myself last, most of the time, to be the best mother I can be. I try to lead by example, by being a good role model for him. It is hard work, but it will pay off. I am raising a champion!

And finally. Five. The Hubs. My husband taught me to finish what I start. I have learned to work hard and never give up.  I have learned from The Hubs that your will and mind are stronger than your physical being.  Growing up in a not so perfect family, I knew when I became an adult the type of father I did not want for my children. When I met and got to know The Hubs, I got a glimpse of the kind of life we could have together. And I think I made a good choice. He is an amazing father to our son. And everyday he proves he really loves me. I am a lucky girl.

Somewhere between explaining my five, I got really emotional.  I was crying and drying my tears with The Hubs and Buddy Roller looking on.  It's because, in that moment, I realized how lucky I was to have five influential people who have helped to mold and guide me into the person I am today.

So...who are your five? I challenge you to answer this question and then ask those closest to you. Their answers may surprise and delight you all at the same time.

No comments: