Sunday, June 21, 2020

He Keeps Riding


In honor of Father's Day today, I'd like to tell you why I'm proud of my husband and baby daddy, The Hubs...


Simply put.  He keeps riding. He gets on his bike, and he keeps going. And this is pretty much the metaphor for his life.

I've known my husband since high school! We're in our 40's now, so it's fair to say I know him pretty well. Although my husband has many great qualities, the one thing I admire most about him is his resilience and perseverance. And I've seen many examples of this throughout our life together.

In college, while pursuing dual degrees in civil and architectural engineering, things got really tough, but he didn't give up. He went on to finish two programs in five years. Last school year, while I was taking a year-long intense endorsement program in ESOL, I wanted to quit so many times. He told me, "You finish what you start." That's truly his motto for life. I didn't quit, and I really have him to thank.

After college, when his brother, Calvin, passed away, it was truly one of the most painful things I've ever seen him go through. Still he kept going.  When he was laid off from work, instead of feeling defeated and giving up, he created his own opportunity and started his own company. Now almost 14 years later, his company is still hard at work and surviving even through the unthinkable...this global pandemic.

And even through the most challenging obstacle to date...a chronic illness...The Hubs amazes me with his strength and determination. He is a fighter, he keeps going, and he never gives up.  What's even more astounding to me is the fact that he doesn't complain.  The last few years have been the most difficult...watching him go through several hospitalizations, procedures, and clinic visits. Yet he keeps going.

I sometimes worry about the effects this is having on our son, Buddy Roller. But then I remind myself that no one's life is perfect. Though different, we each have our own struggles and obstacles in life. And it's those hardships that teach us important life lessons. So I look at it this way. Yes, while it's tough to watch someone I love go to battle every day, it's a good lesson for Buddy Roller. He sees the fight in his dad every day. He's learning firsthand not to give up, and it's a lesson he will come back to, again and again in his own life.

So on this Father's Day, I appreciate and admire the fight in my husband. Through it all, he's been resilient, and he perseveres. 

He keeps riding.

To read more posts about Father's Day, see the following -

A Father's Day Tribute to the Hubs

Dear Dad

How Did You Tell Him?

No comments: