Saturday, November 8, 2014

Girl on the Run


Seven years ago I ran and completed a half marathon. Seven years ago.  That was then. It was great. I was in decent shape.

I miss those days.

These days I'm no runner. I don't even think I could run a quarter mile! Tomorrow I'm running (and I use that term very loosely...I really mean I'll be walking and panting! LOL) a 5k at Atlantic Station. I'm only going because one of my students asked me to be her running buddy for Girls on the Run.  This nonprofit program gets young girls moving and helps to build confidence and self-esteem.  We've offered this program at my school for the past several years, and each year I get asked by one of my students to be a running partner.  Every year I say yes.    

I can't say no.

But this time I warned her (funny, I remembering doing this last year too) I would probably not be able to keep up. I gave her an out. She was persistent, and wouldn't take no for an answer.

So I'm going.

Lately, I've been thinking of running again.  I use to really enjoy it.  Just me with a clear mind...pounding the pavement and just running. It was freeing and therapeutic. It was awesome. And after every run, I felt really peaceful and calm. I need to get back to that. It's a good feeling.

And maybe, just maybe, tomorrow's run is just what I need to get back on the saddle.

No comments: